Opportunities are Endless Here…
Filled with character this 1940’s blank canvas is an exciting opportunity. Originally the local Church, potential buyers can let their creative juices flow as to the potential uses. Opportunities are endless and what an opportunity.
Close to trout fishing at the popular Lake Leake and short driving distance to National Parks. There is plenty of parking on offer for the boat, caravan, bikes and more. Sited on some 878m2 (approx) of land the property is unencumbered by virtue of not having a cemetery attached.
Royal George is a welcoming community and is situated on the banks of the St Pauls River. Located a leisurely 60-minutes' drive from Launceston CBD & Airport and only 35 minutes' drive from Campbell Town. Within 10 minutes of the Avoca Roadhouse/Post Office & currently renovated Union Hotel. Royal George has nearby Forest Reserves with picnic spots, walking tracks & beautiful water falls. Within 30 minutes from Lake Leake & just over 1 hour to Bicheno.
What a fantastic project or utilise as is. Where else could you secure such a gem at such a realistic price? Phone Racquel Cleaver now to arrange your private inspection.
HISTORY - No. 697 - Royal George - St Paul's Mission Hall
Royal George is a village in northeast Tasmania on the St. Pauls River and lies appro 15 kms southeast of Avoca. The township is named after the Royal George Mine which began operations in 1912 following the discovery of tin in the early 1890’s. Royal George has had only a single church, St Paul’s Anglican Mission Hall. The origins of the Mission Hall date back to May 1915 when Bishop Reginald Stephen visited Avoca for a confirmation service. It was on this occasion that “Rev. C. Cox (Fingal) introduced the Bishop, and the Rev. J. Taylor (Avoca).… In the course of his remarks he brought under the Bishop's notice the necessity of a room to hold service in at the Royal George”.
Progress was soon made to this end with a fundraising event to establish a place of worship at the settlement. In July 1915 the Daily Post reported: “A social was held at the Royal George Tin Mine on Wednesday night….the proceeds which amounted to £2, will be donated to a fund to build a room to hold church services, and also to be used as a school which is much needed here”.
By the February 1916 the building had been completed although fundraising was still underway. The Launceston Examiner reported: “February 19, 1916, will be a red-letter day in the annals of the St. Paul's Valley, as on that date a fair was held in the building to be used for divine service, Sunday school, and day school. The function was highly successful, the handsome sum of £42 being realised. The Rev. F Taylor, in the course of a brief speech, stated that the whole of the erection of the structure was voluntary, and asked Mrs. Cox to open the fair…. A large amount of bunting was hung throughout the building, and the many ferns and greenery interspersed with flowers of every hue, helped to give the interior a gay and bright appearance…”.
In the following year the Bishop, Dr Stephen, visited Royal George to dedicate the Mission Hall in a ceremony on 2 October 1917. As a small and remote community, newspaper reports concerning the Hall are few and far between. With the cessation of mining activity, Royal George’s population declined yet the Hall continued to function until 1988 when it closed and was subsequently sold.
Disclaimer: Information contained in this listing has been furnished to us from a number of sources including Tasmanian State Government Departments, Local Councils and the Vendor. We have not verified whether or not that information is accurate and do not have any belief one way or the other in its accuracy. We do not accept any responsibility to any person for its accuracy and do no more than pass it on. All interested parties should make and rely upon their own inquiries in order to determine whether or not this information is, in fact, accurate.
Open for Inspections